Friday, July 31, 2009

10 Things: I Wish White People Would Stop Doing



1. Touching black peoples hair and acting like its the first time they have ever seen something different from their own.

2. Feeling the need to identify race when telling a story that has nothing to do with race. ex: So my friend, he's black/asian/indian, and I are driving down the street...

3. Using the term "reverse racism". It takes a person with a complete and utter attitude of entitlement to think racism should in its general sense ONLY be applied by White people and if something racist happens to them...it is REVERSE racism...its just racism fool!

3B. Being upset at Affirmative Action: Sorry to break it to you, but you're already four times more likely to get whatever spot is available at whatever institution or job...affirmative action tries to even out the playing field..and it doesnt even truthfully succeed at that. Allow me to tell you a story. I took a test to measure my intelligence and capabilities to be placed in the Honors program my freshman year of high school. I scored a 99% on the test. It was the HIGHEST TEST SCORE RECORDED IN 17 years...or so im told. (Yea, im just as shocked as you are lol)However, since I was coming from an all black low income school and going to the "creme de la crem" school on the white side of town, I was told that the test was different and I wouldnt have scored a 99 on their test. So my mother told them to test me again. They did. It was the exact same test. I scored a 99 again. What did they do? Put me on ACADEMIC PROBATION and told my mother if i get less than an 87% in any of my classes I would be sent to regular classes. THAT is why we have Affirmative action to combat brash racism like that.

4. Walking on asphalt with no shoes or socks: I love white people. Thats why I dont want you to get hurt. There are rocks and shards of glass on the ground. Unless you have those George Of The Jungle feet, you could get seriously injured.

5. Being the goofy, almost racist comedic relief in black movies: This actually doubles as something I want both black and white people to stop doing. Tom Arnold and his family in Soul Plane, Warren Beaty in the movie with Halle Berry that nobody saw, The white men in BAPS, Steve Martin in that stupid movie with Queen Latifah. RAPPING GRANNIES. White actors...YOU OWN HOLLYWOOD. I would like to think you wouldnt have to degrade yourselves in such a way. Its demeaning enough for BLACK people to act like asses in dumb black comedies...you don't have to do it too. You're better than that. I think we all are.

6. Dancing and Clapping off beat: ACTUALLY i love this about white people. I went to a dive bar the other week and my friend and I were the only black people there and they were playing some of the most GANGSTA music I had ever heard. (In fact they played the Ghetto Boyz "Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta")White folks were clappin off beat, slow dancing to fast songs and vice versa and it made me VERY happy. You dance not to the beat of the music but to the beat of your own drummer. Never lose that about yourselves.

7. Equating the Civil Rights Movement to the Gay Rights Movement: Now, before I get hate mail. Im actually FOR GAY RIGHTS. I think gays have the right to get married and they have the unalienable constitutional rights of all american citizens. BUT, there are two flaws in saying "We are fighting the same cause". 1. The jury is still out on whether we as humans choose our sexual preference or if we are genetically predisposed to the liking of penis or vagina. HOWEVER, when I was born there was no nurse there asking if i wanted to be black or white. 2. A race of people fighting for the right to be recognized as equal human beings is a bit different than fighting over the samantics of marriage. As far as I know there are no gay and straight drinking fountains.

8. Being Upset With The Election Of President Obama: America has been a country for about 233 years and for 232 years and 5 months its most powerful man has always been white. A black man gets in office for 7 months, and certain factions of America cant seem to take it. Its one thing to complain about his policies, its one thing to say, I just plain don't like him. Its quite another to illegitimize his citizenship by claiming he isnt an American citizen and is a secret terrorist. We all called Bush an idiot and even said he didnt too much care about minorities, we called him a liar and a host of other things. We never called him an Al-Quaida operative (even though he helped recruit a lot more men than Osama). That kind of speech is ignorant and dangerous and I will not tolerate it about my (and whether you like it or not..your) president.

9. Getting Attacked By Animals That You Should Never Be Attacked By: Mauled by a bear? Eaten by an alligator? A Tiger? A GIRAFFE?: I wont say much about this besides...white people...you should really have figured this one out by now. First, stop going into the woods and pissing off animals in their living room. Alligators and bears arent like black dudes, they wont let you pet their hair and comment about how wooly it is. They will just attack you. Also, black people AND LIONS have been living in Africa for centuries............dont often read about them losing an arm trying to save their kids from lion attacks....im just sayin.

10. Being scared of all other races: Back when I was living in Georgia, a white man told me, "Im tired of giving to everybody else when my family and the family of other good white men BUILT America. The country was BUILT ON OUR BACKS and you guys keep trying to take it away. This is my America". A bold thing to say in a group of black men, but I respected him for his dillusions. Truth be told, slave labor built the American economy into what it is today (Its very easy to become the richest nation in the world when you have free laborers for 100 years.), the Chinese built the railroad system that made us even more powerful, and the great strength of our military was in its numbers, intelligence, and the fearlessness of its soldiers, an assortment of races. I know the ever changing, multi-cultural, interracial world of today may seem scary to those who want to hold on to the image of America as pure white as the driven snow or a Norman Rockwell painting, but that is not America. We are a diverse country with diverse people. No need to fear the changes or the people making them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I had a grand time reading this. Excellent blog overall, please continue posting...